oh! ok. so....i determined that part of the problem was that the hardware was too small for the piece. i found this hardware
on sale at the home depot for $1.98 each! woot! i know. awesome huh?
i knew i wanted a slatey blue color, so i enlisted the help of my favorite decorator...PINTEREST...and found some ideas. i sent pictures to my sweet cousin, who then told me the perfect color...wrought iron by martha stewart. yay! and as soon as brian left to go out of town, i drove my butt straight to the store, looked at the color, and then had it color matched with the primer PLUS paint by behr! love that stuff!
it only took me about 45 min. to complete BOTH coats(i waited an hour between each coat). immediately the chest looked so much better...that is until i remembered that i didn't know how to work the drill, so i would have to wait until brian came home to complete my project! boo!
so......last night, even though he was exhausted from his trip, he drilled my new holes for me! and it looks AWESOME! exactly what i was going for! amazing how a little paint and new hardware can completely change the look of something! now on to the next project....
mismatched knobs and all
2 coats of paint