i love to cook...especially when i'm preparing for company...because i enjoy entertaining. having my house full of people, food, and wine...makes me so very happy. ;)
but when i'm not entertaining, sometimes trying to decide WHAT to cook is my greatest challenge. and this is going to sound C.R.A.Z.Y....but when i know that morning what is on the menu for that NIGHT...my whole day is better. (it's the little things...)
tonight...dinner is DONE and ready to be grabbed right out of the fridge and eaten. i love it. and in case you are looking for a new recipe...this one is awesome. it does have to be made ahead of time(at least 2 hours) but it's perfect for days when you have an activity but don't want fast food, have company and want to visit instead of stand in the kitchen all night, are craving salad(ha!), or just can't think of anything else! :0
Dianne's Southwestern Cornbread Salad
1 package (6 oz size) Mexican corn bread mix
1 envelope (1 oz size) buttermilk Ranch salad dressing mix
1 small head Romaine lettuce, shredded
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 can (15 ounce size) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 oz size) whole kernel corn with red and green peppers, drained
1 package (8 oz size) shredded Mexican four-cheese blend
6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
5 green onions, chopped
Prepare corn bread according to package directions; cool and crumble. Set aside.
Prepare salad dressing according to package directions.
Layer a large bowl with half each of corn bread, lettuce and next six ingredients; spoon half of dressing evenly over top.
Repeat layers with remaining ingredients and dressing. Cover and chill at least 2 hours.
so so so yummy! but you know i ALWAYS have a few changes when i make something...so here are mine...
- i use the real pieces of bacon in a little bag...and i use about a bag and a half.
- unfortunately for my thighs, i use more cheese than called for...but that's up to you!
- the mexican cornbread can be hard to find...meaning sometimes they have it and sometimes they don't. if they don't, get a regular cornbread mix(NOT JIFFY...it's too sweet) and add green chilies and mexican cheese to it. totally awesome.
- the 15.4 oz can of corn with peppers is a trick also...just buy two small cans.
- i use more lettuce, green onions, and tomatoes than the recipe calls for....it makes it so yummy!
HAPPY MONDAY EVERYONE!! :)